Angela Sculpture - 418 W. Ave B
A sculpture of monumental scale cast in bronze of St. Angela Merici (Santa Angela) and Carolina Angela de la Garza Dewitt that rises to a height of approximately 10 feet. Visitors are able to walk around the statures on paths in the garden area.
Paintbrush Alley: This one is located in the Alley between Twohig & Concho and from Irving to Chadbourne. Paintings on the building go from whimsy to nostalgia.Secret Garden: This one is located between the Wells Fargo Bank building and the Farmers Insurance building at 31 W. Beauregard."Art Opens Doors":This display at 215 S. Oakes, in the alley between the Federal building and JB Automotive.
Bats at Foster Rd Bridge
All free-tail roosts are not in caves. At the Foster Road overpass at Loop 306 in San Angelo, free-tails occupy narrow crevices on the underside of the bridge. They first arrive at Foster Road in late March and are wholly absent by the end of November. In the last decade, spring and early summer population has fluctuated between a few thousand and 150,000 bats. But from late summer through October, when maternity colonies have largely dispersed, up to 184,000 have been recorded. I would not be surprised to find over a quarter of a million of them here in October, (Terry Maxwell). Best time for viewing is at sunset.
Ben Ficklin Memorial - Behind Farmer's Daughter landscaping 5433 Ben Ficklin
A handsome pink granite marker. It is located next to the road on Ben Ficklin Road. It tells about Ben Ficklin and information about the flood
Buffalo Statue - At the Paseo between the two pavilions
An intriguing metal sculpture, titled " The rebirth of an Old Friend", was created by Richard Salmon and was dedicated to the lifetime achievements of famed San Angelo author Elmer Kelton.The Cactus Hotel - 36 E. Twohig
The Cactus Hotel
This historic hotel was Conrad Hilton's fourth hotel. Built in 1929, it was his largest, most ornate and most expensive ($900,000) hotel property. The hotel, with its 14 stories, lavish decorations and elegant crystal ballroom, has been revitalized as the city's cultural center. The San Angelo Symphony and the Cultural Affairs Council are housed on the mezzanine level. In the lobby are shops, art galleries and a café. The hotel no longer has overnight accommodations. For information call 325-655-5000.
Concho Avenue in the downtown area was the first street in "Santa Angela". The avenue shares simple charm with delightful country collectibles and memorabilia. The colorful history of Concho Avenue and downtown San Angelo is reflected in the stores and buildings.Whether browsing through antique malls or designer fashion stores, having lunch at a tavern, enjoying music at the watering hole or reliving history in the "Best Little Bordello Museum in Texas" -- Miss Hattie's -- you are guaranteed a wonderful time.Around every downtown corner, you will find more enticing and delectable treasures, many historical buildings and, most of all, friendly people.
Have a two hour cruise or an all day party. This is the only cruiser in West Texas! It features many amenities. Open year-round by reservation. FMI call 325-481-3210 or e-mail email@example.com
The Concho Pearl
Concho pearls have been found in the natural waterways of West Texas for at least 400 years. The freshwater mussel shells, unique to this area, produce lustrous pearls in natural colors ranging from soft pinks through vivid lavenders. These beautiful pearls, produced by at least 12 varieties of mussel clams of the Unionacea family, appear in virtually every shape and size, and can be purchased in jewelry stores throughout the city.
D'Vine Wine Winery - 113 E. Concho Downtown
San Angelo's first and only winery. Over 18 different wines are hand crafted, fermented and bottled right on the premises. Juices are imported from all over and wines for every palate are available by the tasting, glass or bottle. A short tour of the winery and process is available through out the day. Open noon - 7:00 pm Tuesday - Saturday. Stop in for some Boot Scootin Blush, Concho Blanc or Rio Rojo. Unique gifts and custom labels also available.
El Paseo de Santa Angela
El Paseo is a heritage trail linking the past and future of San Angelo by using activity areas to bring our history and cultural heritage to life. Pathways, two pavilion buildings and a tiered plaza connect Fort Concho National Historic Landmark, the Historic Orient-Santa Fe Depot and the Concho River to create this open area. A restaurant in the area features Mexican and American food. Along the approximately five and one half blocks of El Paseo you also will see the beautifully restored railroad depot and warehouse buildings--an area known as "Santa Fe Crossing." There is a railroad museum in the depot and a San Angelo products store and gift shop in the former warehouse that is restored as the Santa Fe Crossing Senior Center.
Fort Concho National Historic Landmark - 630 S. Oakes St.
Founded in 1867 as a frontier outpost to protect early West Texas settlers, Fort Concho is the reason that San Angelo exists today. The town literally grew up around the fort, and now the town boasts the fort as its primary tourist attraction. The national historic landmark includes a visitor center, museum and parade grounds. Seventeen buildings on the fort grounds have been restored and five have been reconstructed, giving the visitors an authentic feel for the frontier days of the mid-1880s. A number of the buildings are open to the public and house an extensive collection of artifacts from the Indian Wars period. Periodically, living history demonstrations are held at the fort, with soldiers in authentic uniforms conducting exercises on the parade grounds. The fort is home to the famous Buffalo Soldiers and celebrates their contribution to the settling of the West during Black History month in February. Several other events are held at the fort throughout the year, including Frontier Day in June and Christmas at Old Fort Concho in December.
The museum is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday and from 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday. Admission is $3, adults; $2.00, military and senior citizens; and $1.50 for children 6-17. Group rates are available. For information call 325- 481-2646. http://www.fortconcho.com/
Old Town - Orient St.
"Old Town" at El Paseo de Santa Angela is a repository for restored endangered historic buildings. Five structures have been relocated to the site: the Zenker House, an 1880's bank building, a 1909 Victorian residence, the Camunez grocery store, and a tiny 1880's home. Oscar Ruffini, San Angelo's pioneer architect designed the bank and the Victorian residence. Ruffini's combination office and home will be moved to the site at a later date. The city has designated Old Town as an historic district, providing a glimpse of San Angelo's early architectural styles.
Historic Orient-Santa Fe Depot -- 703 S. Chadbourne St.
The restored Historic Orient-Santa Fe Depot, celebrating the centennial anniversary of the building with was built in 1909 and that our houses the Railway Museum of San Angelo. The former KCM&O passenger depot which in 1929 became Santa Fe's depot when they bought out their rival here in San Angelo the KCM&O. Come and visit the changing displays of railroad and depot artifacts, memorabilia, elaborate model train layouts of various gauges, a gift shop, and exterior exhibits featuring two locomotives, a boxcar, and a caboose on permanent display.
A special annual event at the Depot is Santa's Santa Fe Christmas. The Depot is open on Friday and Saturday nights during December and is brightly decorated for Christmas with special activities for the children and Santa Claus is on hand each night. Admission for Santa's Santa Fe Christmas is $4.00 for adults and $2.00 for children.
The Museum is open on Saturdays from 10:00 am - 4:00 pm and admission is $1.00 for children under 12 and $3.00 for adults. Special group tours and school/church field trips can be arranged for other times and special rates may apply to tours at times when the Museum is normally closed. For information on group tours, please contact the Depot at (325) 486-2140 or call Allen Johnson at (325) 651-4506 or Nolen Mears at (325) 944-9146. The website for the museum is: www.railwaymuseumsanangelo.homestead.com
Historic Murals of San Angelo - S. Chadbourne & Ave. C
Historic Murals of San Angelo, Inc., organized in 2002, has placed three historically correct murals in the Historic City Center. The first, "Public Transportation in San Angelo 1840-1940" is 85' x 14' at South Chadbourne and Avenue C across from the restored Santa Fe Depot and Museum. The second, "The Blacksmith", 18' x 32', is on the east wall of Concho Confetti Antique Mall at Concho Avenue (Block One) and South Oakes. The Third and largest mural (18 X 85 ft). Entitled "South Chadbourne in the early 1900's", it is a street scene of the 200 block of S. Chadbourne complete with old buildings/signs, cars and streetcar as they were in early 1900. Muralist Crystal Kedziora Goodman researched and painted these murals. FMI call 325-944-1443 or visit their website at http://www.historicmuralsofsanangelo.org/
Pearl of the Conchos
The prize-winning sculpture of a mermaid was the creation of the late Jane Charless Beck. The slightly larger than life-size bronze sculpture depicts a "fresh water" mermaid with an outstretched hand holding a symbolic Concho Pearl, found only in the waters of the Concho Rivers surrounding San Angelo. The mermaid reigns over the Concho River near the Celebration Bridge, the River Stage, the San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts and El Paseo de Santa Angela.
Producers Livestock Auction - 1131 N. Bell St.
Aside from being the largest sheep auction in the United States, Producers Livestock Auction Co. is the largest cattle auction in the Southwest. The auction barn is in operation at 1131 N. Bell St. Sheep auctions are held every Tuesday, and cattle auctions are held every Thursday. For information call 325-653-3371.
The Concho River, named for the mussels that produce the unique pink Concho Pearl, has always been a treasure to the city. The River Beautification Project features beautiful gardens, a river walk/plaza area, 14 water displays, turn-of-the-century lighting, the Bill Aylor Sr. Memorial River Stage, a children's (Kids' Kingdom) playground, a four-mile jogging-walking trail, the Visitor Center and a nine-hole golf course -- all in downtown San Angelo. The Celebration Bridge links the Historic City Center, the River Stage and El Paseo de Santa Angela, and provides access to Fort Concho from the river.
Vietnam Veterans Memorial
A Huey Helicopter and Monument located at the San Angelo Municipal Airport (Mathis Field) This Memorial was dedicated May 17, 1997 and honors those who where KIA'S, POW'S and MIA'S from: Crockett, Kimble, Menard, McCulloch, Reagan, Runnels, San Saba, Schelicher and Tom Green Counties.
Visitor Center - 418 W. Ave B
Architecture designed by Craig Kinney / Chakos Zentner Marcum Architects. The 1,600 square foot Visitor Center itself has a soaring roof with a floor to ceiling wall of glass looking out onto the Concho River. The stone in the building is from Texas stone quarries located in Sisterdale, Garden City and Lometa. The floor and benches are made of mesquite wood. There are plasma televisions and a message board that provide information and atmosphere. There is a picturesque waterfall that tumbles down the walkway that goes to the river and The Angela Sculpture cast in bronze overlooks the river. Hours of operation are Monday - Friday 9:00 am to 5:00 pm Saturday 10:00 am to 5:00 pm and Sunday's 12:00 pm to 4:00 pm.
9/11/01 Memorial Monument
This monument, located right below the San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts on a little hill on the right as one goes toward the Celebration Bridge, is very unique in that it is one of the few in the state of Texas that has a piece of steel that was acquired from the World Trade Center, Ground Zero in New York City. It was dedicated Sept. 8, 2003 in memory of those, including Judy Rowlett of San Angelo, who lost their lives on that terrible day of terrorism.